My New Leopard Pencil Skirt

Leopard Pencil SkirtWhen the leopard print trend first hit the scene a few years back I was obsessed with it, but I also thought it would be a flash-in-the-pan. One season, maybe two, and that will be that, I thought. I was so wrong. Every fall the designers come out with more leopard print and this year it feels as fresh and fun as it did a few years back. I’m in love with leopard print again. My new leopard pencil skirt helps to fuel the love. I found it at my favorite local consignment store on sale, so it was a double bargain. None of that would matter if it didn’t fit well, but this Elie Tahari skirt hugs my hips like it was made for me. I couldn’t be more excited about it. Check out the video to see what I mean.

The Leopard Pencil Skirt – A Fashion Video

The video was taken in Beverly Hills at a little park where Wilshire Boulevard meets Santa Monica boulevard. The corner is home to a lovely art deco fountain known of as the Electric Fountain because it is lit with glowing colors at night. During the day it’s a home for pigeons and people strolling the pretty garden and walkway flanking Santa Monica boulevard.

The music is by La Eles. The song titled Caxanga from the album Infinito.

Details

I wear a simple black T-shirt tucked into the high-waisted skirt and my favorite denim jacket thrown over my shoulders. Around my neck sits my new chain necklace found at the same store where I bought the skirt. The little purse has shown up a lot recently. It was thrifted from the Goodwill when the clutch trend was new, but I still like wearing it this time of year.

Faux Python Clutch Bag

Leopard Pencil Skirt

Black SandalsWearing:

• Leopard print sunglasses by Jean Lafont
  • Nail polish “Royal Blush” by Sally Hanson
  • Denim Jacket by Tommy Hillfiger
  • Leopard pencil skirt by Elie Tahari
  • T-shirt from Target
  • Thrifted chain necklace and faux python clutch bag
  • Open-toe shoes by Tsubo

Are you wearing leopard print this fall?

, , , , ,

26 Responses to My New Leopard Pencil Skirt

1. Annette October 26, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

Oh I am definitely wearing leo prints and just recently showed my new one on the blog paired with a safari jacket. I am now so much inspired by your denim jacket and will certainly try that styling. Unfortunately we don’t seem to have those great consignment stores over here in Germany.

I always love your videos and the walking scene from behind is fabulous and sexy!

Annette | Lady of Style
    Annette recently posted..LATE SUMMER WINEMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 2, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

Hi Annette. So glad you like my videos! I have my husband to thank. I’d never have the patience to create them, but he really likes it. I like your idea of pairing a leopard print skirt with a safari jacket. I’m going to have to try that too!

2. Pam
    October 27, 2013 at 4:55 am #

Absolutely gorgeous skirt and the perfect fit!! Your styling is spot on! Have a great week ahead!
    Pam recently posted..From Goodbye to Hello…The Circle of LifeMy Profile

3. nofearoffashion October 27, 2013 at 5:17 am #

It is not only the cut of the skirt which is sublime for you, it is also the pattern of the leopard print. Not just your run of the mill cut a piece from a roll of fabric, no !!! The designer did some careful thinking. Beautiful.
    Love the fountain as backdrop for your skirt. The water drops seem to want to create the same pattern as your skirt.
    Did you hire trained pigeons??? LOL
    Greetje

• Hugo October 27, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

A lot of out-of-work actors in L.A. right now. I got the pigeons really cheap.

• Heather Fonseca November 2, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Thank you Greetje. The best thing about buying from consignment stores is that the clothes are so much less expensive than full price, which means I can actually afford really well made garments. On the other hand it’s sort of hit or miss, especially in my size. Sigh.

4. Paula October 27, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

I have a very similar leopard skirt; sort of high waisted pencil skirt. It comes and goes in my repertoire; but I’ve had it for 8 years now. Yours looks great on you–am loving your videos! xoxo
    Paula recently posted..Pumpkin Season StyleMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Thank you Paula! I’m so glad you like the videos and the skirt too.

October 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

If I have to wear a skirt the pencil skirt is the style I would also choose for my body type.

Haven’t bought any leopard prints this season. Not sure if I will. :)
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Beach Babe – Wildwood, NJMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 2, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

I love pencil skirts, but because my hips are quite a bit larger than my waist finding ones that fit can be challenging. Every so often magic happens and I fall on the perfect one though. As for leopard print, I highly recommend a pair of leopard print flats or a scarf to add just a touch of the print to a casual outfit. Leopard looks great with denim too, and is much more versatile than one would think.

6. popcosmo October 28, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

Wow, loved the video – your clothes and the location! And yes, the skirt really does fit you well and you styled it perfectly so that the skirt is what stands out. I love animal print and am always searching for more that looks sophisticated… like this skirt. Great post!
    xo ~kim
    popcosmo recently posted..No-sew DIY Placemats + Fall Friends!My Profile

October 29, 2013 at 1:11 am #

Fabulous skirt Heather that fits you like a glove. You look mighty SEXY!
    Sylvia recently posted..Hot right now: the Trapeze bag. Here are some of the best!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Thanks Sylvia. It’s a sexy skirt, and I think my husband picked out all the sexy parts of the video. (:

8. 33 November 1, 2013 at 9:40 am #

wow! you put this outfit together so well and you look super good. it shows from the clip, your joy and confidence.

you are right about the skirt fits you to a T, not too tight, too loose, too short, too long. The print is also at the right scale. I love how you pared it down with simple dark color pieces.

That clutch is a keeper, so simple yet versatile. I can see it goes with a lot of your outfits.

Like your hair like this. It bounces and sways with weightlessness.

I think what you did here demonstrates how to wear animal print. It has to be the focal point, not the whole ensemble. If you walk into a bar solo during happy hour wearing this outfit (jacket draped over one shoulder), you will def. get guys buying you drinks. ;-)

as for me, I have a favorite silk long rectangular leopard scarf (print on a small scale), a Banana Republic cashmere fitted shrug, and a new Michael Kors snake print pencil skirt (i thought it was leopard but turned out to be snake).

Bravo, great outfit and practical for most body shapes to try!

• Heather Fonseca November 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Thank you thank you thank you! Your new Michael Kors snake print skirts sounds gorgeous. I love his stuff.

9. MARLA ROBINSON November 2, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Love that skirt and bag. What a wonderful place to shoot a video.

• Heather Fonseca November 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Thanks Marla. Glad you like my video. I remember when I wouldn’t dream of doing a video, and now I love it. Go figure! I see that you’re still doing yours. It’s fun isn’t it?

10. DressCode:HighFashion
    November 2, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

Wow, Heather! What a PERFECT video! SO L.A. and you look gorgeous! The leopard pencil skirt has become a classic and I`ll wear it til I`m 70! Unfortunatly I have not yet found one that fits as perfect as yours!

Have a nice weekend, Jenny
    DressCode:HighFashion recently posted..Links à la Mode (October 31st): Creatures of the NightMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Thanks Jenny! So glad you like my skirt. I’m really excited about it. Mostly because it does fit so perfectly, and it’s hard for me to find pencil skirts that aren’t too tight in the hips. Good luck finding your perfect leopard skirt too!

11. WendyB November 4, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

Leopard + pencil skirts = two classics!
    WendyB recently posted..Jewel of the Month: Earring Inspired by Eminem and MMLP2My Profile

November 9, 2013 at 11:02 am #

I love, love the skirt! Again another amazing video as well. I think leopard print is a classic now it always appears every season and looks great!
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..The Casual InvasionMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Thanks so much Arash! Glad you like the video and I agree with you on leopard print. It’s classic, or maybe such a big trend that it will look fresh all decade long.