Having a Happy Holiday Season

Holiday OutfitI love the holidays. The lights! The decorations! The parties! The shopping! Yes, call me a consumerist, but I love buying gifts for friends and family during the holidays. There are a lot of people on my list, and it gets very expensive, but I still love it. Having a happy holiday season is important to me. Last year I had a hard time overcoming the stresses of the season but this year I’m determined to stop worrying about how I’m going to get everything done. I’m going to get dressed up, go out and have fun!

It seems like the Christmas season starts earlier and earlier every year as the stores try to get in on all that holiday shopping money. I am always a little shocked to hear Christmas carols in the stores in November. Can’t we at least wait until after Thanksgiving? I guess not. But it does serve to remind me that the holidays are on their way, and that I need to get my shopping list organized, figure out what I’m going to do about my Christmas Cards, and fantasize about what I’ll wear to the holiday parties.

My husband and I took this video early in November, before the holiday spectacle really got going. The night was cold and clear, the outdoor mall not yet filled with holiday shoppers. It was a lovely evening. I wore a my versatile black slip dress with a red cashmere sweater and a little belt, which somehow took the outfit from frumpy to chic. Over it all my faux leopard fur coat kept me almost warm enough.

Happy Holiday Shopping

If you can’t see the video please click here to see it on Vimeo.

How I Enjoy a Happy Holiday Season

At this point I should probably leap into a list of recommendations on how to get organized, what kind of lists to create, how to set up a wrapping station at home, la la la. But no, I’m not going to do that, even though they are all good suggestions. Instead I encourage you to embrace the holiday season with all its craziness. Yes, the malls are crowded. Yes, Christmas music is everywhere. I don’t like crowded situations and although I rather like holiday music, when it starts on November 1st by late December even I might be getting a little bored of it. It can all be a little overwhelming, but I find that if I go with the flow I have a much better time. In years past I would try to get my shopping done early. No more. This year I’ll throw myself out there in December and hope for the best and I’ll get dressed up for any and every holiday party. For me, life is just too short to wear jeans everywhere, and if I don’t wear my burn-out velvet party dress and red glitter nail polish at Christmas then when will I wear it?

How do you have a happy holiday season? Any advice?

28 Responses to Having a Happy Holiday Season

1. anne the SpyGirl
    November 29, 2013 at 11:03 am #

A most relaxing Holiday video! I was annoyed to see Christmas ads before Halloween. Too too early!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..Help from the Past OutfitMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 7, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Thank you Anne. Glad you liked my newest video! I totally agree. Christmas ads before Halloween is way too early!

2. Kiki November 29, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

Xmas season seems to be starting earlier and earlier over here too. November, to be precise. Seems excessive, but there you go.
    Kiki recently posted..Sweater & TulleMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 7, 2013 at 10:08 am #

It does seem excessive. I liked it when the Christmas season started after thanksgiving, but the stores like to start early. I guess they need the money. What really bugs me are the stores that opened on Thanksgiving. It just seems wrong.

3. Pam
    November 29, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

Oh I loved your video and your outfit! Great work!
    Pam recently posted..Small Business Saturday: Support A Favorite!!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 7, 2013 at 10:06 am #

Thank you Pam! Hope you’re having a fun holiday season too.

4. Annette November 30, 2013 at 12:04 am #

Lovely video, Heather! Here in Germany the radio stations usually don’t play “Last Christmas” before the 1st of Advent, we are quite traditional here. Of course the malls in the big cities are crowded and I prefer online shopping and I will visit the local Christkindlmarket which will open tomorrow.

Annette | Lady of Style
    Giveaway: Glamorous pearl bracelet
    Annette recently posted..WINTER WONDERLAND AND A COSY FUR COATMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 7, 2013 at 10:06 am #

I love that you are still traditional in Germany. This year they started playing holiday music on November 1st, the day after Halloween. It’s a bit much! I did a bit of online shopping this year but I still prefer going out and looking at what’s available. Since I don’t work regular hours I can get to the stores during the week, so it’s not as crowded. Have a wonderful holiday!

5. Greetje Kamminga November 30, 2013 at 12:18 am #

The video is very festive and not overtdhe top. I liked the take with the waitress and the bottle of wine. Of course you look lovely and you are right the belt adds this ” Je ne sais quois” . Wearing your coat like this… Pity you did not send it in for the challenge at 40+Style.
    In The Netherlands we first have Sint Nicolaas on the 5th of December. This is a big big celebration for children. Shops usually wait till December 6 to start with Christmas stuff. Well apart from specialized shop who sell nothing for children.

• Heather Fonseca December 7, 2013 at 10:04 am #

I’m so glad you like my outfit Greetje. I was thinking about sending it to the 40 plus style challenge but I ran out of time. I’ve had a fun and engrossing design job recently, which is wonderful, but it leaves very little time for blogging.

Your Saint Nicolas festival sounds delightful!

• Greetje Kamminga December 8, 2013 at 12:53 am #

Saint Nicolas is more or less the same as Santaclaus. Ours arrives on horseback from Spain. Yours from the north pole on reindeer.

• Heather Fonseca December 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Such great info Greetje! I love hearing how other cultures and countries celebrate this time of year. So much fun, all of it!

6. MARLA ROBINSON December 1, 2013 at 10:24 am #

so pretty, love that coat

December 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

I think it is fun to shop during the holiday season as well. I love getting things for my girls. It’s also the one time of year that I find tons of things I want for myself as well! I try to keep it under control though. Here in NY we have lots of outdoor holiday markets around this time of year. I love looking at unique hand made items by local artists. This year I may mix in some online shopping as well.
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 47 – “U”My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 7, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Hi Stacey, I agree. Shopping for my kids is so much fun. This year I’ve decided to give them only books, crafts and toys, no electronics! The funny thing about this year is I haven’t been tempted to shop for myself. I’m not sure why. It’s like I’m so focused on getting my Christmas list complete that I can’t rest until it’s done. I love the idea of buying hand made items too! Wish there was something like your holiday market here.

8. 33 December 5, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

what a put together outfit! Your style lately has become more sophisticated, less boho, which goes well with your hair style. I think the jacket over the shoulder cape style look tre chic on you without pretention.

If I would add one more touch to this outfit, it’d be a pair of wrist length leather gloves. you know, the type that looks like driving gloves that stops short of the wrist bone…..

• Heather Fonseca December 7, 2013 at 9:54 am #

I totally agree with you, some gloves would have been perfect! I have some but they’re in storage. Oh well. And I agree my style is getting more sophisticated, but it might just be the weather. My summer clothes are more boho because it seems more appropriate when it’s warm, but my “winter” style is more pulled together I think.

December 7, 2013 at 8:20 am #

I’m almost ready for Christmas. Over here in the UK it always starts early as soon as Halloween has finished really. I’ve been a bit lazy and only just started shopping, I don’t really get stressed to be honest but I’m not so relaxed that I’d leave everything until the last minutes lol.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Are You Craving Something Different?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 7, 2013 at 9:52 am #

HI Arash! I bet the Christmas season is beautiful in England. We’re finally getting some “winter” weather here in LA, and I’ve been working on my Christmas list with much gusto. Hopefully there will be nothing last minute!

• Arash Mazinani
        December 15, 2013 at 11:02 am #

Hey, it is quite nice in England with the cold weather especially when you can get cosy and warm at home. I’d love it to snow but it’s both a gift and a curse. It’s beautiful outside but then makes everything grind to a halt lol.
        Arash Mazinani recently posted..How Does Your Self Perception Affect Your Style?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 25, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

No snow here! Even a little rain makes the traffic pretty crazy here, even though it is so beautiful too. Recently it’s been quite warm here, but it kind of goes back and forth. We did have some cold days so I can’t complain. I got to wear my fall clothes a few times!

10. shanti December 20, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

soooo lovely! really puts a calm and peaceful touch to the seasonal rush!

• Heather Fonseca December 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

Thank you Shanti. So glad you enjoyed the video.

11. Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud
    December 21, 2013 at 10:04 am #

You are always lovely to look at. I love the look and feel of this viddy- not the bustle of the holiday- just a sheer and civilized enjoyment of it. Wishing you a bright and festive Christmas, Heather.
    Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud recently posted..Outfit Post: Purple Plaid PendletonMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

Thank you Bella! So glad you like the video. It was a fun evening.

12. siya December 24, 2013 at 12:31 am #

you looking so beautiful in this outfit..