A Tweed Skirt and the City: an Outfit Video

Tweed Skirt, Black blouse, Outfit VideoHere I am wearing an outfit of two new pieces: a fabulous tweed skirt by Tahari and a beautiful sheer black blouse from DKNY. Although they’re new to me they’re not new to the world. The blouse and skirt are both hand-me-downs from my auntie.  For many years my aunt worked as a salesperson in the designer department at Macy’s in downtown San Francisco. She augmented her wardrobe with high-end pieces bought on deep sale. Some things she loved and wore all the time, some things weren’t quite “her” but they were too good of a deal to pass up. This skirt and blouse both fell into that category. To say I love them is putting it mildly. The skirt in particular is sooooo wonderful. I’ve been obsessed with tweed since I was old enough to know what it was, but wearing such heavy fabrics is difficult living in such a warm climate. This skirt is rather lightweight, and the little bit of fur trim make it extra special, don’t you think? To see the outfit in motion check out the little video, below.

A Tweed Skirt and The City

The music is by Catrin Finch. The song “Andante” from the album Italian Concerto, BWV 971 Bach (Creative Commons Attribution)  If you cannot see the video try heading directly to my post to see it online, or you can also see it here on Vimeo.

The video was taken at the beautiful Vista Hermosa Park overlooking downtown Los Angeles. We found out after a few minutes of taking video that photography isn’t allowed in the part without permission, so we headed to another park to finish the shoot.

My New Tweed Skirt

Tweed Skirt, Black blouse, Outfit Video

Tweed Skirt, Black blouse, Outfit VideoThis outfit feels professional yet whimsical, and very chic. I’ve worn the tweed skirt and black blouse several times already this December and I especially like to wear them to meeting with clients.  I’ve also worn the same skirt with my usual black T-shirt, and the blouse looks just as good with jeans as it does with a skirt. All in all a wonderful and unexpected gift. Thank you auntie!

Wearing:

• Tweed skirt by Tahari
  • Blouse by DKNY
  • Shoes by Nine West
  • Purse from Nordstrom

Do you wear tweed? Have any great hand-me-downs? Tell me your thoughts in the comments!

, ,

22 Responses to A Tweed Skirt and the City: an Outfit Video

1. Annette December 26, 2013 at 10:29 am #

I always love your videos!
    This skirt is gorgeous, the A-line creates a fantastic silhouette! Very elegant.

Annette | Lady of Style
    Annette recently posted..FUR AND LEATHER FOR TURN OF THE YEARMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

I love A-line skirts! So glad they seem to be making their way back into fashion. I don’t feel as comfortable in short skirts anymore. Sigh.

2. Pam
    December 26, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Fabulous!! The video…the pictures…and the skirt!! I love it…you make the perfect model for it! Happy New Year!
    Pam recently posted..Reminders of HeritageMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

Thank you Pam! So glad you enjoyed the video.

3. Kiki December 26, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

The place looks so peaceful. Loving the video and loving the skirt (of course)
    Kiki recently posted..All WhiteMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:14 pm #

Thank you Kiki. It’s a beautiful park. Glad you like the outfit.

4. Greetje Kamminga December 27, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Beautiful pieces, looking perfect on you. And yes I have received hand-me-downs too. Some pieces are unexpectedly good. A lot of pieces from Anja are really lovely. But also the little bright coloured scarf of another friend gets loads of appreciation.
    Congratulations with these presents. And a Happy New Year.
    Greetje

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:13 pm #

Thank you Greetje. So glad you like the outfit!

5. anne the SpyGirl
    December 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

Oh Heather — seeing that skirt was worth the long December hiatus wait! The woolen fringe is a GREAT detail. I know JUST the skirt I’m going to add some to — the black/gold/white number in my Shiny post. Now to find the fringe… it’ll be like an Otis student-days safari.

Speaking of Otis, let me tell you a tweed story. Senior year, we had to all hand tailor a classic blazer before the mentor projects started. My BFF Lisa and I chose a bluish heavyweight Harris Tweed check that we purchased at B Black at 5th + Los Angeles in Downtown LA, to make jackets for our significant others. Gosh, I can’t even remember some of the names of the interfacings that we used, but those jackets ended up like armor! And WAY too hot for soCal!

And hand-me-downs? The shoes I currently wear ALL THE TIME were given to me by my pal Leslie. Another BFF, with excellent taste!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..52 Pick-me-up: Holiday Ornaments and Mixed MetalsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:12 pm #

Great story Anne. I made a similar tweed jacket the same year of school. I made it to fit me, but gosh the armholes. I worked and worked on them, but they still puckered. Tailoring is hard.

December 28, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Wow what great hand me downs! Both are beautiful the skirt and the blouse and worn together are really chic. You’re lucky your aunt had the foresight and big heart to buy pieces like these even if they weren’t suitable for her. It makes me think about things I may have passed up that were hugely discounted that someone could have benefitted from if they weren’t suitable for me.

I also again have to compliment you on the video and photography the two stills at the end of the post are gorgeous! I’m guessing your husband took these right? Send him my compliments.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..When is A Personal Shopper Not A Personal Shopper?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:11 pm #

Thank you Arash. I’m so glad you like the outfit. It makes me feel very chic! And thank you for the compliments on the photos and the video. Yes, they’re by my husband. I will tell him you’re impressed.

7. 33 January 2, 2014 at 10:50 am #

Heather, you are on a roll! This outfit is another winner, perfect for SoCal “winter”. 🙂

The skirt is so you, traditional material with a twist.

BTW, happy 2014. I bet a lot of people will get married on 2/14/2014, an anniversary not easily forgotten. 😉

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

Happy 2014 to you too. I’m so glad you like the outfit. The skirt is VERY me. I wish I had it in a bunch of different colors.

8. Designer Inspired Bags January 8, 2014 at 7:52 am #

Gorgeous look, love the skirt.
    Designer Inspired Bags recently posted..International Shipping Now AvailableMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

Thank you! Glad you like the look.

9. Marsha January 9, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

Love this look… the A-line is so flattering and looks great!

10. shanti January 13, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

really lovely! your videos are awesome!

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2014 at 11:32 am #

Thanks Shanti! Now I have to convince my husband to make some more. He’s moved on to printing his photos himself and now he’s really into that. You know…photographers! I’m glad you like the video and I’m hoping to have another one up soon.

11. Debra January 15, 2014 at 4:42 pm #

That skirt is gorgeous! Very unique piece. Your auntie has great taste & so do you! 🙂

Debra@stylewisebydebra.com
    Debra recently posted..How To Wear LeopardMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 18, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Thank you Debra! So glad you like it. It’s one of my best outfits I think.