New Years Resolutions 2014 – beyond the basics

Rose NecklaceLast year when I wrote about my new year’s resolutions the title was rather tongue-in-cheek: In 2013 I resolve to wear more Chanel! It wasn’t true. I had no plans of wearing or even buying any of that particularly expensive brand of clothing, but the goal to improve my wardrobe with better quality, classic clothing was a sound one. I’m pleased to say that 12 months later I do have quite a few pieces on my 2013 back-to-basics clothing list, including several silk blouses, good quality jeans in different classic washes, and one chic black leather pencil skirt. I actually managed to achieve about half of the goals I set for myself last year, including setting up a retirement account and exercising almost daily. So what is in store for 2014?

Most of my goals are uber responsible. I need to save money for this and save money for that and it’s all very respectable and not very interesting so I won’t go into it. However one fun thing want to do is find several really pretty earrings to add to the few I have in my collection. Years ago I had a big box full of bling, then my home was burglarized, and the jerk made off with most of my costume jewelry. It still hurts. Since then I’ve replenished my collection with several statement necklaces in faux gold and pearls, ropes of metal chains and strands of glittering rhinestones. Dozens of bracelets and a few wrist watches live in a small box in my closet.  I  purchased my new bling everywhere from upscale consignment stores to Target and I feel great about them all, except in one area. Earrings. In comparison to my assortment of necklaces and bracelets I have only a small selection of ear bling. As a general rule I like to wear earrings even if I’m not going “all out” in the accessories department, so why do I have so few? It’s time to change that, and 2014 is the year! Maybe while I’m at it I’ll add a few brooches. Nothing I could buy now will ever replace the big vintage rhinestone beauties I once owned, but maybe I could come close. What brought on this jewelry frenzy? The delightful rose necklace my husband gave me for Christmas, above, was the catalyst. It’s time to say goodbye to the jewelry I lost, and make new memories around the pieces I have now. Plus, jewelry is small, just like my closet.

Adding to my jewelry collection is a fun resolution to have, as is my main new years resolution for 2014. What is it? HAVE FUN!  I want to have fun with this blog, fun with my life, fun with my husband, children, friends and family. Last year was about going back to basics and minimizing the stuff in my life, this year I want to remember, all year long, that life is short, and I want to live it with great enthusiasm, love and joy. And yes, pretty jewelry too.

What do you resolve to do in 2014?

, , ,

21 Responses to New Years Resolutions 2014 – beyond the basics

1. Pam
    January 2, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

Your husband is a keeper…that necklace is gorgeous! I fabulous statement to wear into a new year!! I hope the year will be a wonderful one… each and every day!
    Pam recently posted..Taking Care of Number 1… and Favorite Things Blog Hop!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:08 pm #

Thank you so much Pam. It is a wonderful gift! And that wasn’t all. There’s more. Soon to be on the blog I hope!

2. Greetje Kamminga January 3, 2014 at 8:50 am #

A truly beautiful statement necklace. How sweet of your husband. We know he adores you (and right so).
    Your resolutions are terrific. I have thought along the same lines. My 2014 word is: positive. Out with negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones. Live life to the fullest.
    Greetje

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:08 pm #

I love your resolution Greetje! It’s just too easy to get bogged down by negativity. I have to be very careful because if I dwell on bad things I tend to get depressed, and then I can’t create, and that’s awful. So here’s to positivity!

• Greetje Kamminga January 9, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

I will let you know how I get on with it. So far so good (hahaha, it is January 9…)

3. anne the SpyGirl
    January 3, 2014 at 1:34 pm #

I love your resolutions! Bring on the FUN!

I can help you in the earring dept, if you want some glass drop types.
    Back when I lived in Providence, RI (the one-time Costume Jewelry Capital of the World) I made earrings and necklaces from antique glass beads. There was a jobber who sold anything (beads, findings, etc etc) for $5/lb.
    I found my pile of inventory and you are welcome to come shop it!
    They’re going to go onto Etsy at some point, you get first pick, GRATIS!

xxox
    I’ll post an IG to tempt you
    Bwahahahaha
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..52 Pick-me-up: Closet Orphans | Ending 2013 at the BeachMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Oh Anne you’re too sweet! I’d love to see your collection.

4. 33 January 3, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

Wow, your hubby knows you well. This necklace suits you and your style i’ve seen recently well. All you need is a pair of etched gold hoops to make a set.

I don’t even remember my 2013 resolutions but I like what I’ve accomplished in 2013. 2014 my hardest resolution is to give my brother my shopping budget (about $300 to $500 monthly) to help him financially. It’s not hard to give money but it is HARD NOT TO SHOP. We’ll see if I could only shop my closet for a year.

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

It’s VERY hard not to shop. I’ve done that in the past when I wasn’t working. It was almost impossible. I find it a bit more doable to switch to only shopping thrifts stores. You can find some great stuff at the Goodwill if you look often enough. Good luck on your no shopping goal!

January 4, 2014 at 11:08 am #

I haven’t set out my goals yet properly but I know I want to be a bit more consistent with things that I do in 2014. Particularly when it comes to fitness, I tend to do well for a few months then fall hard off the bandwagon and it’s always so difficult to get back on. I also have a few business goals that I want to work on this year. But I’ve been quite happy with how my blog has been plodding along and surprisingly I’ve managed to post most weeks. I think it’s because I have a reasonable schedule. I’m definitely not a 3 times a week blogger.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..What Are Your New Year Goals?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

Fitness is a hard one. It is very easy to fall off the wagon and darn hard to get back on. I still haven’t gotten back on a regular exercise schedule this year.

6. Sharon January 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Lovely necklace.
    I sort of let 2013 slip on by and I didn’t achieve as much as I had planned. This year I have set quite a few goals for myself. Actually, a month or so go, I realized that 2014 is the perfect year for me to definitely make a few changes and go after a lot more of the things I have been wanting to do. This year (in the fall) my daughter will be attending college and my son starts high school. With them being independent and involved in activities outside of the home, how could I not look at my vision board and not feel compelled to act? The biggest goal is working full-time for myself . . . not just blogging but, also with my event planning business.
    Sharon recently posted..Elisabetta Franchi Spring Summer 2014 CampaignMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Sharon that would be great! I wish you all the best of luck in your 2014 endeavors. Working for oneself can be hard, I know, I do it, but it is very rewarding and I love the flexibility it gives me.

7. Jamillah January 8, 2014 at 9:48 am #

WONDERFUL resolution. YAY! Year of fun and jewelry 🙂

happy new year!
    Jamillah recently posted..New Year’s HolidayMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 8, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

Thanks Jamillah! I thought buying earrings was a fun resolution too.

January 10, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

I love earnings It’s probably my favorite jewelry item.

I wrote a list of goals the other day but also – not too exciting except I want a new computer. I should say I desperately NEED a new computer!!!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..New Photo Project: Hidden FacesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2014 at 6:41 pm #

A new computer is a good goal, especially for a photographer! Have fun finding the perfect one. I’m a Mac girl myself.

9. Debra January 15, 2014 at 4:46 pm #

I am.a jewelry junkie! Lol! I am the same as you…if I like it, I’ll wear it. Its great to find good vintage jewelry. No one else has it so you will receive tons of compliments. I wear vintage jewelry almost daily.

Debra@stylewisebydebra.com
    Debra recently posted..How To Wear LeopardMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 18, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

I agree Debra. I love vintage jewelry too!

10. MyEmptyBag January 17, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

awesome gift!!!!

I want to see it on you!

kisses

MCarmen
    MyEmptyBag

• Heather Fonseca January 18, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

Thank you M Carmen! I’ve been wearing it a lot, but I’ve yet to get photos up on the blog. Hopefully I’ll have more time for photoshoots soon.