Purses in Vogue

Fashion Editorial from Vogue Magazine, January 2014There was a time when I picked up the newest American Vogue magazine with excitement at all the wonderful folly that lie within, but over the last few years I’ve become disillusioned. It’s rare that I open an issue that inspires me. As I flipped through the newest, January 2014 issue, I was pretty sure I was going to be underwhelmed once again. Then, at the end of the slim book, page 130, I stopped. This fashion editorial is named “Tinsel Town” because, I guess, it’s filled with actresses (and one incredible beautiful red-headed model, above) but maybe also because of the whimsical embellished purses that are the true stars of the pages. Take a look…

Fashion Editorial from Vogue Magazine, January 2014

Fashion Editorial from Vogue Magazine, January 2014

Fashion Editorial from Vogue Magazine, January 2014

Fashion Editorial from Vogue Magazine, January 2014Fringe! Fur! Spikes! Chains! Even some gold filigree. Ever since the clutch came back in vogue I’ve become enamored with unusual purses, but if this editorial is prophetic I might be completely over the moon soon enough. Back in the 90’s prim little handbags were all the rage. Then everything changed. The first decade of the new century was a time of giant hobos and oversized shoulder bags with extra straps. Bling and designer logos covered these substantial totes. The statement bag was all the rage for a long time, but eventually fashion moved on, and the importance of the purse gave way to the wild designer shoe. Now, it seems, the pendulum of fashion is swinging back to the bag, in particular the handbag. These fabulous purses don’t look prim at all though, they look like a lot of fun, and I love it.

Are you excited about the return of the handbag? See anything in the pages of Vogue that you love?

, , , ,

22 Responses to Purses in Vogue

1. Greetje Kamminga January 9, 2014 at 5:59 am #

For me the handbag was never out of sight. But as I like good well-made leather ones, I tend not to go too wild in design.
    The ones you show us are beautiful but I would not buy any of them for the above reason. Well perhaps the cream one with roses.
    Greetje

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

I love the one with the face, and the spiky black one. I really do love wild purses! But every woman should have a couple really good quality bags as well. And I love your collection of hand bags, many of which are in fun, beautiful colors.

2. Fashion Handbags January 9, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

Amazing looking bags. The drawstring bag is one of the hottest bags that I’ve ever seem. Love the look.
    Fashion Handbags recently posted..International Shipping Now AvailableMy Profile

January 10, 2014 at 5:56 pm #

Forget about the bags – I can’t get past those amazing red curls! So jealous!! 🙂
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..New Photo Project: Hidden FacesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2014 at 6:41 pm #

Those curls are amazing aren’t they! I wish I had hair like that too, though I imagine a host of hairdressers worked at it before the shoot.

January 11, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

I’ve just picked up the UK Vogue for the trend guides that are in this month’s edition. I rarely buy fashion magazines as I get most of the news I need quicker from the web. Anyway I’m definitely more of a shoe person than bag person, when assessing women’s clothes. It maybe because that’s where my story starts… designer shoes so I kind of grew to love them when they were the ‘it’ pieces. I never really felt the same about bags, they never got me picking them up and admiring their design in the same way shoes do.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..What Are Your New Year Goals?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

I would assume most men would be more shoe people than bag people, especially if the shoes were sexy heels! Recently I’ve been drawn to very classic shoes, but outlandish purses. It might just be my mood.

5. Sharon January 12, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Fur is not my thing. I especially do not see the point of it on shoes and handbags. I cringe at the site. Anyway, I like a statement handbag just as much as I like a statement shoe. Everyone should buy a few fun accessories for their wardrobe.
    I am sure by now you have heard/seen Mochino’s pre-fall purses. If not have a look at them. They are leather jacket purses.
    Sharon recently posted..Whatever: Sara Sampaio for Flaunt Magazine: Quote by Joan JettMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

No Sharon I haven’t seen Mochino’s pre-fall purses. I much check them out! And I totally agree that everyone should buy a few fun accessories for their wardrobe. Sometimes a new bag or great pair of trendy shoes can update older clothes and make them seem fresh and fun.

6. Style on me January 12, 2014 at 6:39 pm #

The bag is so unique. Have you seen this cool free app that lets you try on fashion on pictures of yourself? You can become the model. http://www.styleson.me

7. Danny Gravel January 13, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Wow! These are some amazing handbags that you have shared here. They are unique and one of a kind to tryout this new year. They all will look good with any outfit you plan to wear.

8. 33 January 14, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

Some gals have the outsized personality to dress all over the map and are chic at the same time. Most mortals would look like a bag lady doing mix and not match. 😉

If I would carry an eye catching bag, I’d keep everything else simple.

Since bags are sort of investment pieces (a good quallity one totally elevates an outfit), I tend to pick the safe ones (black, tan, red, gray, leopard, etc.). However, I do have one really really boho and colorful bag.

It was made with old fabric scrap, embroidered pieces, and vintage ribbons collected from Yunan, China and Napel region. A lot of quickly made fabric/embroidered bags can be found in Chatuchak Market in Bangkok but the one I bought in Taipei was 100 cuts above (much more expensive, too). I have yet to feature it in my chictopia page. When I do, I will let you know so that you can check it out. It was as wild as the bags in Vogue. 🙂
    33 recently posted..iSanctuaryMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2014 at 11:30 am #

I’d love to see your Boho bag! I hope you post it on Chictopia soon, though sometimes I think it’s easier to wear BoHo pieces when it’s warmer out. Though our weather here in LA has been very warm of late! As for the mixing and matching, some people really have a knack for mixing together a lot of prints and colors and looking great, but I agree it’s a rare talent!

9. 33 January 14, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

BTW, the face bag is totally you. Remember that Xmas time outfit you did in the mall? Red top and black skirt? This face bag would fit right in. I love the fact that it has no embelishment and has a sort of retro feel to it (the shape and size I guess).
    33 recently posted..iSanctuaryMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2014 at 11:31 am #

The face bag is definitely my favorite. Like you I can see it with a very simple outfit so the purse stands out.

10. Debra January 15, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

Hello! Handbags are a MUST HAVE for this girl. I used to buy very “safe” bags. As I get older (shhh!) I lean towards more fun bags. Studs, leopard & fun colors. I love vintage bags which I collect & wear. 🙂 Great to meet a fellow bag lover. We rock!

Debra@stylewisebydebra.com

• Heather Fonseca January 18, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Indeed we do! Actually, I love all sorts of fashion accessories…

11. MARLA ROBINSON January 16, 2014 at 11:12 am #

It’s sad but I don’t think I own one clutch bag. I’ve always loved shoulder bags and totes best.

• Heather Fonseca January 18, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

I have a pretty big collection of different kinds of bags, and tend to go back and forth between them. Clutch and small handbags aren’t as hard on the shoulders, but they don’t hold as much either. I do like how they don’t mess up the line of my outfit though.

12. popcosmo January 16, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

I would kill for that black pochette one and the flowery white one! So glad you share these, they really are amazing. Guess you can take the girl away from the black and white but you can’t take the black and white out of the girl. They are just my faves … always!!!
    xo ~kim
    popcosmo recently posted..Comment on Glitter Lollipops, Part 1 by PopCosmoMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 18, 2014 at 5:45 pm #

I have to say I like colorful bags, but there will always be a place in my heart, and closet, for a fabulous black bag too.