New Earrings

Pretty earrings by Monet

Remember when I said my new year’s resolution was to buy more earrings? Well, I’ve been doing GREAT with that goal! I guess one way to make sure you realize all those yearly ambitions is to make them enjoyable, and shopping for fashion accessories is FUN. Well, I think it’s fun. What makes these pretty earrings especially nice isn’t just the elegant packaging or the sophisticated designs, at $22 a pair they’re also a great price. Oh, and they were on sale to boot. Lucky me. Want to know where I found them? Perhaps you’ll be surprised, but maybe not. Keep reading to find out.

Budget shopping at JC Penney

Yep, I found the earrings at JC Penneys. If you grew up in the USA you might remember this budget conscious department store from your youth. I rediscovered the American classic last year, and wrote about my surprise at the fashionable clothes available there in the post THIS is JC Penney? Later I decided to check out the emporium in person, and was pleased to find that JCP wasn’t the drab, boring, poorly lit place I remember.  Unfortunately the closest JCP is a good thirty minute drive from my house, so I don’t go very often.

On this trip I decided to work on my new years resolutions by scouring the fashion jewelry section. Although the CEO who took JCP from frumpy to fabulous last year has been let go I’m happy to say that the store hasn’t returned to its former funk. The sales people were very helpful and friendly. The lighting and layout of the store is still attractive. The clothes and decor aren’t quite as cool, but nor are they terrible. It rather reminded me of Target, if Target was a department store. It took me a while of searching through the large selection of baubles before I stumbled upon the Monet Jewelry section with its elegant gold foil packaging and classic, but not boring, designs.

Monet Jewelry

I had never heard of Monet Jewelry before I saw the line the other day, but it seems they have a long history. The company was founded in 1927 and saw great popularity in the 1960’s, but by the late 1990’s the family run business had been purchased many times over and was facing bankruptcy. It’s now sold at JCP. Let’s hope it stays that way! Personally I find their jewelry to be well designed and of good quality, and who doesn’t appreciate good quality and design for a reasonable price?

Red Drops

Red stone drop earrings

Golden OrbsMoney Golden Drop Earrings

Golden Hoops

Golden hoop earrings by Monet

All the earrings were purchased with my own money at JC Penneys.

Found any great earrings recently? How are you doing with your new years resolutions?

, , , ,

20 Responses to New Earrings

1. Debra January 18, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

Working in retail I see a lot of items that look so so on a hanger until I see them on & think Wow! The same thing happened with these earrings. Can I tell you how perfect they are?! And Monet is a wonderful company. I have a gold bracelet that my aunt gave me in high school (a LONG time ago) that I still wear. It has never turned colors & it has definately had it’s share of baths. Lol! I am so glad you found such a great company to try. You can also find them in major Dept. Stores like Macys. Enjoy your new pretties!! 🙂

Debra@stylewisebydebra.com
    Debra recently posted..Eco Chic Leanne MarshallMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 30, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

Thank you Debra. I’m so glad you like my new purchases. I’ve worn the hoops the most. They’re just kind of perfect of any occasion. Nice to know that Monet is sold in other stores and that they are of great quality! I saw some images on line of some vintage pieces and they are beautiful.

2. Alexis Grace January 18, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

Buying more earrings as a resolution? Now that is something I can get behind! And it looks like you are having quite a bit of success with it thus far! I think the second pair is my favorite of the three…. NIcely done!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Travel Snapshots: Peranakan CraftsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 30, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

Thanks Alexis! I know. It’s a fun resolution!

3. anne the SpyGirl
    January 18, 2014 at 8:45 pm #

Some lovely finds!
    Don’t forget, you still have an invitation to come “shop” at my place!
    Maybe we can take some photos for my Etsy shop!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..Cameron Silver on the Digital CatwalkMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 30, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

I’d love to shop your place! I just need to find some time. It’s a lot calmer on my end at the moment so probably soon!

4. No Fear of Fashion January 19, 2014 at 7:58 am #

So nice… oh so nice. I would like them all, especially the red ones. You have great earlobes.Mine are small and thin and the little puncture is now a rather long line (as in African earlobes when you are 80… brrr). I have to cover it up with earrings that sit on my earlobes like the red ones. But because of my allergy need to buy silver or gold only. Too bad.Monet is a well-known make in The Netherlands. Good stuff.Greetje

• Heather Fonseca January 30, 2014 at 4:57 pm #

I had no idea Monet was such a big brand! Here I thought I’d discovered some secret. Oh well. They are pretty fab though. Having to wear only gold or silver might not be a bad problem though. You must get some very lovely gifts.

5. Tav W. January 19, 2014 at 9:53 am #

Beautiful selections, all of them! 🙂 I also found it curious that the CEO who initiated JCP’s rise to fabulous was unceremoniously let go. It was when that CEO took over that I began buying at JC Penney again. They had stylish clothes that wouldn’t break your bank account and ad campaigns that were attractive and eye-catching. I’m glad they’ve continued moving forward with the stylish, affordable merchandise.

• Heather Fonseca January 30, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

I’m so glad you like my earrings Tav. I’m not sure the clothes are quite as fab as they were when the former CEO was at the helm, but they’re still nicer than they were. I think the new CEO probably moved too fast with his vision, and, though it was fabulous, it might have alienated and freaked out their customer base.

6. MyEmptyBag January 20, 2014 at 1:40 am #

I like all of them! great selection!

kisses

MCarmen
    MyEmptyBag

7. 33 January 23, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

the earrings you picked out are very “you”. I can see you pairing them with your outfits in the past posts. 🙂

Joe Fresh of JCP is actually pretty decent in quality and price, especially the classic and basic pieces. I’ve always been tempted every time I passed the designated area.
    33 recently posted..U Have Me At HelloMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 30, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

Every time I go into JCP I find something great. The earrings were really a “find” but some of the clothes look really nice too. So glad you like my earrings!

January 27, 2014 at 1:42 am #

Hey I love the red drops on you I think with some dark lipstick they’d be perfect for an evening out and give you a sultry, vampish look. If that’s your kind of thing of course. But they’re definitely my personal faves of the bunch. I also like the ‘look’ on the second photo!
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Are Fashion Ads Getting A Little Bit ‘Too’ Sexy?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 30, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

So glad you approve of them Arash! I definitely do like wearing dark red lipstick. As for the photos, I’ve been obsessed with the camera on my new I-phone. Most of my new photos are taken by me on my phone. It’s fun! Plus my husband has been busy with other things recently so we haven’t had time for our usual photos.

9. Stacey
    January 27, 2014 at 8:16 am #

Haven’t bought any new earrings lately but really need to. I saw some at Anthropologie that I liked. I don’t ever think to go to JCP. It’s not on my radar! 🙂
    Stacey recently posted..Hidden Faces Photo Project – Week 3My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 30, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

I never used to go to JCP either but since rediscovering it last spring I’ve been impressed with their selection of merchandize. Anthropologie can’t be beat for jewelry though. Love it all!

10. Marsha July 26, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

I love the pieces you’ve chosen! Cheers to treating yourself!

11. Stacey August 15, 2014 at 8:26 pm #

It’s funny how to can find such fashion forward finds at places like JC Penney. You don’t have to go broke to look fabulous!