When the beauty gurus heralded burgundy lipstick as a big makeup trend last fall I was both elated and cautious. I wore a lot of deep red lipsticks in the 1990′s but recently the dark lip colors I’ve tried have left me looking like the undead, but not in an elegant way. I thought perhaps I’d try again to find a few good burgundy-wine-berry colors and made the quest more challenging by finding these lipsticks for under $10 at the drugstore.
Disclosure: I purchased all of these products with my own money and was not compensated for the post by the brands I recommend, however there are affiliate links embedded in some of the links. If you click on them I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
Romantic Dark Berry Lipstick
The first time out on the hunt I got lucky. Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick comes in 72 time-tested colors. I thought for sure I’d find a great burgundy in the line, and I did! “Blackberry” is a very dark red creme lipstick. It’s warm but somehow manages to come across as red, not brown. According to this article Revlon’s blackberry color has been around since the early 90′s. The author says the original color was darker and more blue in tone.
- Color - Dark red
- Staying Power - The lipstick will stay in place for hours but it does need to be reapplied after a meal.
- Feel - Goes on creamy and stays that way.
- Bleed - Even though its quite dark the lipstick does not seem to bleed at all.
- Scent- The smell reminds me of crayon but it’s very faint.
- Price - Around $8
If you prefer your burgundy a bit more violet in tone, try “Euphoria”, one of the wonderful Lip Perfection lipsticks by Covergirl. It has a slightly cooler cast than “Blackberry” while still being a true creme with not a hint of shimmer. The two lipsticks have about the same level of pigmentation. I had to return the one I tried because it was so close to “Blackberry”, but I wanted to mention it anyway. Covergirl presented the color in one of their magazine advertisements. Check out the photo here. Personally I think it’s prettier in real life.
Glittery Burgundy Lipstick
- Color - Shimmery dark magenta with copper glitter
- Staying Power - This lipstick stays on for hours but will need to be reapplied after meals.
- Feel - This goes on creamy but feels dry after a few minutes.
- Bleed - It does not seem to bleed into the fine lines around my mouth.
- Scent – The lipstick smells light and buttery.
- Price - Around $8
A Burgundy for Everyday
- Color - Sheer dark berry
- Staying Power - This only lasts about an hour and must be reapplied after meals.
- Feel - Soft and creamy
- Bleed - The color is too sheer to bleed.
- Scent - There doesn’t seem to be much perfume added to this gloss. It smells rather like crayon.
- Price - $10
- Color - Sparkly dark magenta
- Staying Power - It’s a gloss, so it doesn’t last that long
- Feel - Very creamy but not sticky
- Bleed - This does ooze a little – it’s gloss after all!
- Scent - The smell reminds me of cookie dough.
- Price - $8
How to Wear Dark Lipstick
How to Apply Dark Lipstick
Update April of 2013: Blackberry is getting very hard to find online. Although I can still find it at retail it might be on it’s way out. If you like the color I would buy it now before it’s discontinued!
Do you ever wear burgundy lipstick? What do you think of the dark lipstick trend?
Like what you see? Follow me!